Just a recap, we learnt in my last update, the advent of the industrial revolutions, and the current industrial revolution of the ‘Machines’ we are currently experiencing. The impact of the new age machines that are learning and thus by utilizing AI/ML mould the world we are going to experience. In this excerpt we are going to understand the machine in itself, the raw material that constitutes it and how the world of AI/ML comes alive.
New Machine: A system of intelligence that combines software, hardware data and human input:
- Software that learns
- Massive hardware processing power
- Huge amounts of data
Any New machine exhibiting AI has three main Elements
1. Digital process Logic
- Transform many manual processes into automated ones
- Car dispatch process between traditional vs Uber
- Digitized process multiplied over millions of transactions – an industry is revolutionized – structuring the process is the hardest part
- thereby new Large Databases that are stable, scalable and tested. For e.g. Hadoop are finding favor against Oracle/SAP
2. Machine Intelligence
- Combination of algorithms, automation processes, machine learning and neural networks – just a richer data set – HEART
- thereby Highly efficient and always on plumbing
3. Software Ecosystem
- Multiple systems of intelligence connected thru API. For e.g. Uber uses Twilio for cloud communications, Google for maps, Braintree for payments, SendGrid for email etc.
- thereby and Intelligent System in action
So finally what will work for us to run an AI system is a combination of the above which not just a system but a very intelligent system based on new and enhanced learning.
Figure: Intelligent System working (Source: Internet)
Just to illustrate this in a live example for the most Successful Internet media-service provider and Production Company in North America. I have put together the to-be story of a system of intelligence that they built.
There is a big difference between merely having all the necessary ingredients of the new machines and actually getting them to perform at a high level. An intelligent system that can help you be the Michael Phelps of whatever race you are in will have all or most of the below characteristics to make it successful.
- Learn more than any other system
- Open to more changes/corrections
- Not just being automated but also involve human inputs
- Focused on a confined problem
- Individual experience has to be top priority
- Look out for Constantly improving system
Once the intelligent system is in place, you finally need a way to measure whether it is doing the right things or not –
- An Intelligent has to become better and better and that depends solely on the ‘Quality of Data’ that is being fed into it
- Intelligent systems has to be a journey in an organization and not just an individual contribution
- System should take ownership of more and more data analysis and should reduce human intervention
Every day that passes gives us more evidence and strengthens our conviction that the intelligent systems that we are trying to understand in this part are the engines of the fourth industrial revolution. Individuals and companies that are early birds on this bandwagon are the ones that are reaping rich benefits out of solving their major problems. So it’s but obvious that we need to the AI/ML way sooner or later. Are you ready?
Stay tuned…. Part III of this foray, we will quickly look through the making of Data that makes an AI system successful and then dwell upon the Digital Business Models and Solutions: – “Robots” that outline the design and delivery of the AI platform.