The agenda of this meeting should be:
1. What did you accomplish since the last meeting
2. What are you planning to work on until next meeting
3. What issues are blocking your progress (Impediments)
- This is not a status to management instead making sure the whole team is on same page. Stand up is not a meeting. It should clearly intended to be standup.
- The stand ups should be strictly time-boxed to 10 minutes. The standard scrum practice says 15 minutes while with my last many years of experience, I see better results with 10 minutes.
- Hold the meeting “Without chairs”. Everyone must stand and speak up.
- Plan to do this in morning. If you have sprint team outside of your country and common meeting held only in the evening then plan to meet whoever is available in morning for 5 minutes for quick sync up with same agenda. The evening stand ups are just status or post mortem which doesn’t serve the purpose of stand ups.
- Everybody in team reports to three agenda items listed above to rest of the team.
- Prefer to have this meeting at the same place and time everyday. Meeting morning is very important as it helps set the context for upcoming work.
- The quick questions and clarifications can be covered at a times while do remember that the meeting must have to be end within 10 minutes. Please understand when I say quick, I am referring closed ended quick questions. The rest everything should go offline or should be addressed with other meetings.
- The meeting should not be cancelled even some of the members are not present. As a team member it is extremely important for you to attend the meeting if you are not on leave that day.